the demon in the dark



I feel cornered
by some demonic force
there's no place to go
there's nothing but darkness
it's so quiet around me
that I can hear myself breathing
sucking in the air
heavy with fear, with dread
I exhale slowly
trying to release some tension
but I still feel it -
in my shoulders 
and in every bone of my body
I think I hear some noise
feel something move
I strain my eyes -
to look deep into the darkness
and I see the shadow
crawling slowly towards me
I can feel its putrid breath
as it comes face to face with me
I am unable to blink
and it stares straight into my eyes,
trying to reach for my soul.

it opens its mouth wide
and I go numb with fear
I want to close my eyes
but I cannot
I watch as it hovers over me
engulfs me in its own shadow
I take a deep breath, ready to scream
but all that escapes my lips is a whimper
that gets lost in the frightening silence
as it reaches for me ready to gulp me down
I close my eyes and I see nothing
I open my eyes and I still see nothing
I can feel the pulsation around me
the soft hissing echoes in my ears
and in that moment of fear
comes the clarity that -
the demonic force has consumed me
and
I am trapped inside its huge belly
I know there is nowhere to go
there never was
I breathe in the putrid air
fight off the dizziness
too late I realize,
as I feel myself growing weaker
and then I collapse
lost forever, inside the nothingness
consumed by the demon
that always lurked in the dark
wherever I went.




Return to Main Page